Saturday, September 4, 2010

chop shop

Just an hour or so into my first day on the obstetrics floor and I witnessed a little guy get his bits chopped down by a physician. It wasn't really what I was expecting. I didn't know that they give babies some sore of numbing agent requiring 3 or so shots in the groin... Lucky for him though because this baby didn't cry at all!

I wonder if more parents would reconsider this procedure if they actually saw what it was like. One of my classmates nearly fainted after it was over. I was kind of a lot to stomach at 8 in the morning.

3 comments:

  1. I love that picture.
    Sometimes it's done for non-religious reasons too, right? Like... well, I don't know why, but I guess because it's too long or prone to infections or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, other reasons include, but are not limited to, because "it will look funny".

    ReplyDelete