Thursday, September 16, 2010

Calentonas

I started volunteering at this awesome community clinic a few weeks ago just that sees uninsured and under-insured patients. It looks like I'll mostly be working with an OB/GYN which is right up my alley... Today I got to put my Spanish skills to the test, which was a lot of fun for me, and I even learned a new word: "calentonas". The woman who I was talking to used it to describe the "hot flashes" she'd been having. I'm just a little nervous about adding it to my list of vocabulary because, upon further investigation, I found out it can also mean "horny ladies."





5 comments:

  1. (from anonymous Deborah) I first saw the word "calenton" years ago in an English-to-Spanish phrasebook for gay men. "Que calenton!" was translated as "What a stud muffin!" I then learned (from a Mexican) that you would use "calentona" for the female equivalent. I also found this usage at spanishdict.com: dar un calentón al arroz -> to heat up the rice, which fits in with the hot flashes, I think. How did the woman say it -- tengo calentonas??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stud muffin! haha! You know, I can't remember exactly how she used it, I think she said "tengo" or "me da calentonas".

    Also, I think David said he'd heard the word "calentura" used in that context.

    ReplyDelete
  3. calentura as another word for hot flash

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Spain, a "calentón" would be, more than a man, a 'horniness' attack/fit/seizure. Like 'qué calentón tengo' would mean 'i'm so horny!', like feeling hot-hot-hot!
    Also dar un calentón a una comida, sounds ok, but it's more common to just say 'calentar' la comida.
    David

    ReplyDelete