Sunday, September 19, 2010

Booty Action

I got to see my very first hemorrhoid today and my instructor even made me poke it.

"Touch this," she said. 
  So I did. 
  The patient said, "Ouch." 
  And I said, "I'm sorry."

Later on I got to play interpreter for a Spanish speaking couple who were going home with their new baby. They weren't leaving though till I gave mom a shot of Depo Provera in the butt cheek. I'm pretty sure I overheard the father discussing employing the clamp that had been used to pinch off the end of his son's umbilical cord as a roach clip.

8 comments:

  1. Como se dice "roach clip"?

    Several times a week I get an email telling me I've been selected to study nursing. I've always laughed them off, but this hemorrhoid story is making me reconsider...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how you say roach clip. I sort of inferred via hand gestures, whispering and laughing that they were considering testing out this alternate function :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked it up. In Mexico, at least, it's "matabacha". (Sounds like a combination of mata and cucaracha, but I can't figure out anything for the b.)
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=matabachas&defid=3833203

    Funny that your instructor didn't know it was going to hurt...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Correction: It's "matabachas" -- I thought that was the plural at first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. roach in my circle is said 'chusta'... 'matachustas' could be a good equivalente. Sounds like some of my friends could have that nickname.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Si no te gusta - fuma chusta." (Lo lei en wordreference.com.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "La chusta no disgusta" -- dicho popular.

    ReplyDelete