Monday, November 1, 2010

Another rotation bites the dust...

Wednesday is the last day of my Pediatrics clinical rotation. It's been challenging working with little kids and babies, trying to get them to cooperate, subjecting them to painful procedures...

While I at least got used to seeing kids in the hospital setting pretty fast, last week, working with a 5 week old baby with a really serious heart condition almost got the best of me. Learning about all of the things that can go wrong with our bodies really made me wonder how any of us manage to be born healthy. It's literally a miracle.


I really hate the fact that I'm never going to find out what happened to that little baby.

3 comments:

  1. That's really sad. Did you find any tricks that helped with working with kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess just being honest about what I was doing and what was going on. A lot of my patients were babies though. I kinda liked the babies because they were cute and didn't fight back :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I would have liked when I was a kid...and it's what I like as an adult! I'd rather hear that it's going to hurt, if it is.

    ReplyDelete